By Todd L. Beekley, Esq., ERM, ARM-P, Senior Associate Director of Enterprise Risk Management for Academic Affairs, Department of Enterprise Risk Management University of Cincinnati.
In October 2017, uncertainty over the fate of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) motivated members of America's risk management community to lobby Congress for the renewal and modification of the NFIP.
By Joe DesPlaines, Business Continuity and Crisis Response Consultant for Districts Mutual Insurance and Risk Management Services (DMI).
Like all of you, I have read a number of articles reviewing the crisis events of 2017 and the lessons learned. In fact, I have just finished reading the 15th such article!
In 2017, URMIA's popular webinar series, formerly known as "Risk Management Week" or "Risky Business Week," was reworked and rebranded as "Risk Management Wednesdays" throughout the month of November. Now in our sixth year, we are proud to offer this benefit for members and non-members alike. Read on to learn more about the webinars offered this year, as well as a Q&A from the session, "The Real Risk of Handguns on Campus."
Want a new or better job? Looking for a career change? Need to dust off the resume? Want to learn more to improve your career? Your association has all of the tools to help strengthen your career. URMIA's website is full of resources, discussion boards, in-person educational opportunities and much more, including our robust Career Center. The Career Center features job listings, resources and the ability to create your own profile to aide in a job search.
Welcome to 2018, URMIAns! We have an exciting year ahead of us, and we are hitting the ground running. Read on to see what our most viewed resources on the URMIAnetwork were in 2017. Learn how to register or sponsor any of our upcoming 2018 URMIA Regional Conferences this spring, submit a presentation for our 2018 Annual Conference by February 2, and much more.
Each month, this article provides some of the latest risk management resources, as well as a calendar of upcoming events, webinars, conferences and other learning opportunities in which you or your campus colleagues may be interested.
Risk management resources
- "It's the Moment Insurers Have Been Waiting For: Time to Raise Your Prices," Wall Street Journal. Because 2017 may be the most expensive for year insurers due to earthquakes, fires and hurricanes, US insurers may find themselves raising rates for the first time in years, particularly reinsurance companies.
- URMIA Annual Conference 2017 Presentations, URMIA. Presentations from URMIA's 2017 Annual Conference in Orlando are now available in the URMIA Library under "Past Conferences." All members can now download PDF handouts and listen to audio recordings from the annual conference breakout sessions.
- RIMS Benchmark Survey, Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS). URMIA Resource Manager Lou Drapeau shared details about the RIMS Benchmark Survey. Responses are due by January 31, 2018. As a thank you, respondents will receive the complete survey when it is published in 2018 (an $899 value). Education is a separate industry group for comparison purposes.
- Construction Insurance Requirements Survey: "URMIA Survey Shows Differences in Contractor Insurance Requirements Among Public and Private Universities," URMIA. URMIA surveyed its members in November 2017 to find out the current practices of colleges and universities for insurance requirements in construction contracts for new and larger renovation projects. The survey did not define "larger renovation projects" as different sized institutions could have different views of what is larger. The goal of the survey was to find out the answers to questions such as:
- What coverages are contractors expected to carry?
- What limits must the contractor have?
- How do the policies protect the institution?
- "Five Cyber Security Trends for 2018," Information Age. Based on McAfee Inc.'s most recent threat analysis, this article highlights five cyber security trends to watch in 2018: adversarial machine learning, ransomware, serverless apps, connected home privacy and privacy of child-generated content.
- "Second Annual Risk Issues Survey for 2017," URMIA. URMIA surveyed its members in October 2017 to find out what are the new issues and challenges confronting college and university risk managers. The goal of the survey was to inform URMIA members about pressing issues others are facing so members can consider them as they plan for 2018. URMIA will also use this information in programming decisions for URMIA's 2018 conferences and webinars.
- Webinar: "Global Breach Response – How to Select Your Key Partners," Advisen. The official implementation of GDPR is just 6 months away. Are you fully prepared? On Thursday, January 18 at 11 am ET, join Experian's Michael Bruemmer, Norton Rose Fulbright's Kris Kleiner, Navigant's David Manek, HUB International's John Farley, and Advisen's Chad Hemenway for a free, one-hour webinar as they discuss important questions. Can't make it? Register anyway, and they will send you the slides and audio.
URMIA's membership continues to grow. Help us welcome our newest members, and read on to learn about the professional updates from your colleagues.